yCrash is our end-end root cause analysis solution built on top of our successful products GCeasy, fastThread, HeapHero. yCrash leverages the same underlying parsing engine and ML algorithms of these 3 tools. On top of it, yCrash provides additional capabilities. This document intends to highlight those key capabilities.
In this video clip. our architect talks about the key features and gives a demo of yCrash product.
Below are key additional capabilities that are present in yCrash (that aren’t available in GCeasy, FastThread, HeapHero):
- Automatic Data capturing: Whenever CPU spikes up in production or memory degrades, you need to capture various snapshots of information (like garbage collection logs, thread dumps, heap dumps, netstat, vmstat, top, top -H …. ) from your application to diagnose the problem. Most of the time, due to heat of the moment – applications are restarted without capturing this information. Without these dump files, it’s hard to diagnose the problem. yCrash agent captures a 360-degree snapshot view of all information automatically for you. GCeasy, FastThread, HeapHero don’t provide the data capturing capability. You need to capture the data manually and upload it to the tools.
- Data Marriage: GCeasy, FastThread, HeapHero tools would analyze the dumps in silos. i.e., GCeasy tool only analyzes garbage collection logs. FastThread only analyzes thread dumps. HeapHero tool only analyzes the heap dumps. yCrash analyzes the data in silo and marries the data of these silo analysis to provide holistic information. yCrash marries thread dump data with top -H output to identify the exact line of code causing the CPU to spike. It marries heap dump data with thread dump data to see what threads and lines of code that cause the memory leak. It marries ‘top’ output with ‘ps’ output, …
- Dashboard & Historical archival: yCrash provides a dashboard (which is not available in earlier 3 products). From the dashboard, you can see all production incidents reported in your enterprise from one single view. You can go back in time (like last month, last year) and see all the incidents in your enterprise.
- Comparison tool: In GCeasy, fastThread, HeapHero you can’t compare the metrics, statistics, graphs between two reports. But in yCrash you can do so. This comparison is especially useful when you have gone live with a new release. You might want to compare what was your GC throughput, pause times,… between your latest release and old release.
- Search: yCrash provides you with a search capability that is not available in other 3 tools. You can search the reports based on the host name, IP addresses, date range, application name, ….
- Security: As a support engineer, you might have challenges transmitting the captured dump files from your device to your developers/SME to debug the problem. You might have to upload it to an FTP site within your organization if it’s available. Sometimes we have seen support engineers uploading these dump files to SharePoint, Wiki, and even external drives like google drive, dropbox due to lack of FTP site availability. As you are aware, these dump files tend to contain sensitive information such as: IP addresses, code path, customer SSN, credit card numbers….. Once you have uploaded the data to FTP site, developers will have to download the dumps to their local laptops for analysis. Now, these sensitive dumps are distributed in multiple locations opening up the room for various security vulnerabilities. In yCrash all dumps are securely transmitted from your device (through https) and stored in one place, i.e. yCrash server. Users only see the analyzed results through their browser. No one will have access to the raw data.
yCrash server installation is the same as the other 3 products. Just unzip and run it.
But for automatic data capturing, you need to install the yCrash agents (which is a self-contained GOlang script) on all your devices. If you prefer not to install our agents on your devices, there are two options: