yCrash has two components:
- yCrash Agent
- yCrash Server
Below are the steps to install them.
yCrash Server collects the data transmitted by yCrash agent, analyzes them, and generates unified root cause analysis report.
- Prerequisite: Java 8 or above should be installed.
- Download latest version of yCrash.
- Unzip the yc.zip file. (Say you are unzipping in /opt/workspace/yc folder)
- Copy the trial license certificate i.e. license.lic file to the unzipped folder (i.e. /opt/workspace/yc folder). Note: license.lic should have been given you to at the registration time.
- Launch yCrash server by issuing the command:
Unix: /opt/workspace/yc/launch-yc-server.sh Windows: c:\workspace\yc\launch-yc-server.bat
Upon successful launching, you can access yCrash application in the browser in this URL: http://localhost:8080/
yCrash agent is a simple Golang program that should be installed on all your production servers that needs to be monitored. This program captures and transmits all the troubleshooting artifacts (GC Log, Thread dump, netstat, vmstat, iostat,….) to the yCrash server.
- You will find ‘yc’ and ‘yc.exe’ file in the ‘/opt/workspace/yc/agent’ folder. If your host is running on windows operating system then use ‘yc.exe’. If your host is running on Unix/Linux operating system, then use ‘yc’.
- You need to run yCrash agent on your production servers whenever problems are reported. Agent can be triggered using the below command:
./yc -c <YC_CONFIG_FILE_PATH> -p <PID>
YC_CONFIG_FILE_PATH: yCrash agent configuration file path.
PID: Process ID of your application that needs to be troubleshooted
./yc -c /opt/yc/yc-agent.yaml -p 3321
Here is sample content for yc-agent.yaml file:
version: '1' options: j: /opt/java1.8/ k: apple@e094ddsdsa-c4eb-4d6a-81224-f000d13245cc s: https://my-yc-server:port a: aps
Here are the property descriptions:
j: directory where Java is install
k: API key given to you at the time of registration
s: URL where yCrash server is installed
a: Name of your application.
To see all the arguments that you can pass to yCrash agent, please refer here.
Note: You can override any property that is specified in the yaml configuration file, by passing same property in the command line.